[turba] [patch] Honoring default addressbook in Turba

Rick Emery rick@emery.2y.net
Thu Nov 7 16:47:55 2002

Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan@studiesabroad.com>:

> Okay jan, so how do you teach IMP to reply to the list! versus the sender. ;)
>
> I'm thinking maybe the reply-to field in mailman needs to be changed on your
> (horde project) end... the horde lists appear to deviate from _normal_ list
> behavior in this way.
>
> (sorry for the off-topic)
> Ryan
> (512)480-8522

Actually, I researched this when I set up my own mailing list. In the mailman
documentation, the mailman authors specifically recommend that you set up the
list to reply as these (Horde) lists do (to the poster). They recommend against
having the reply go to the list automatically. Here is the line from a mailman
list administration page:

"Where are replies to list messages directed? Poster is strongly recommended for
most mailing lists." with the options being Poster, This list, or Explicit address.

You can't see it here (because it's text), but on the admin page the word
"strongly" is italicized for emphasis.

For its part, IMP graciously provides a "Reply to List" link, as well as the
standard "Reply" and "Reply to All" links.

hth,
Rick

P.S. I don't usually like to perpetuate off-topic threads, but felt compelled to
respond to this message. I'll shut up now.