[turba] couple things

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Jan 13 14:09:15 PST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:
>
> > Don't encode them.  To my knowledge, $'s are not allowed in US Postal
> > Addresses, and I can't imagine an non-US address having a *US Dollar*
> > sign in it.  :)
>
> Cute. Try to think a tad more generally.
>
> -chuck

Okay, to be a little more serious.  From RFC2252:

   In encodings where an arbitrary string, not a Distinguished Name, is
   used as part of a larger production, and other than as part of a
   Distinguished Name, a backslash quoting mechanism is used to escape
   the following separator symbol character (such as "'", "$" or "#") if
   it should occur in that string.  The backslash is followed by a pair
   of hexadecimal digits representing the next character.  A backslash
   itself in the string which forms part of a larger syntax is always
   transmitted as '\5C' or '\5c'. An example is given in section 6.27.

So to put a "$" in a string, it would be encoded as "\24", the hex value
of $ preceeded by a backslash.

	Andy