[turba] AddressBook Schemas

Brenda Bell k15a-list-horde at theotherbell.com
Tue Feb 18 15:35:47 PST 2003

Quoting Harry Hoffman <hhoffman at ip-solutions.net>:

> Hi Adam,
>   But I want the same schema to be used by those software clients.
> So, if you
> create your address in Turba then they are accessible in Outlook,
> Lotes,
> whatever. And vice-versa.
> I know the adding of the schema isn't difficult. But without an
> agreed-upon
> schema how does one access the same attributes by all of these
> different clients?

The way I understanding things, the best you can do is some rather
tedious mapping between the various schemas you want to support so all
of your clients are getting the same information from the same place.
 For example, http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP.html
offers up a pretty good description of the schemas for Outlook and
Netscape, with an example of how you can munge things so that Netscape
will get things like cellPhone and xmozillaanyphone from existing
attributes
(http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP-GILSchemaExtension.html).

Obviously, the more clients you want to support, the more difficult
this is going to be because each client is going to have its own
unique quirks.

--
Brenda