[turba] language specific characters

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 28 21:40:11 PST 2003

> Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:
>

> > > The problem is, we just don't know what charset the imported data is
> > in. So
> > > there's no (or maybe a wrong) charset conversion of the data made.
> > >
> > > Jan.
> >
> > Would it be possible, or desirable, to add a selection box on the import
> > form asking for a character set (with a default value)?
>
> That's the question. Do users know which charset their data is in?

Not most of the time, which is why we need a default value that is
likely to be correct in at least a small majority of the cases.

> Where do
> we get the charset list from

$nls['charsets'] since those are the only ones supported by Horde.

> how complete should it be

As complete as $nls['charsets']

> (there are several
> hundred charsets including aliases)?

Yeah, the aliases could make it messy.  But I think just go with
$nsl['charsets'] and don't worry about the rest.  As long as the
default is reasonable, then we should be okay.

I would guess the best, but not easiest, way would to be to make
the default charset configurable, or take it from $nls['defaults']['charset']
at least.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics