[turba] __type attribute for LDAP

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Thu Mar 13 17:34:14 PST 2003

>>attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.13040.1.2.4.16
>>        NAME 'turbaMembers'
>>        DESC 'Members of a Turba Group'
>>        EQUALITY caseIgnoreIA5Match
>>        SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26{4000} )
>>I made it "{4000}" since that is the size of the members field provided in
>>the PostgreSQL database scripts.
>what's the limitation of LDAP (specifically OpenLDAP)?  Or does it depend on
>what backend you use for OpenLDAP?

It does depend on the backend.  And with the LDBM backend depends even further
on the "database" libary used (gdbm, nmdb, etc...).

In OpenLDAP, at least currently, the length parameter is a bit bogus anyway as
it is not enforced.

>If possible it would be nice to not have any limit, but i'm not sure
>if that's possible.

With BDB/sleepycat backend the maximum attribute size should be pretty darn
big, but by default an OpenLDAP thread has something like a 4Mb stack so that
will limit you before the backend will.