[turba] Ldap maintanance suggestion.

Tom Redfern thos at fonebone.net
Fri Mar 28 07:20:35 PST 2003

Thought I'd post this before hacking.

I'm running horde 2.2.1-1 and turba 1.2-2. and using ldap address books.

They are working fine, but I it seems to me that the ldap schema that is
recommended has a shortcoming.

The pilotperson object class produces address book entries in the form:

dn: cn=budy,ou=xxx,ou=personalAddressBook,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: person
objectClass: pilotPerson
cn: budy
mail: budy at somewher.org
sn: xxx
homePostalAddress: xxx
... etc

but does no require (allow) an attribute org unit - only as part of the dn.

This leads to a maintenance problem as one may, for example, need to identify
all address book entries that belong to a user for wholesale modification,
transferring/copying  of entries etc.  One can do this by collecting all the
DNs and parsing for the desired user, but that isn't the ideal.

The problem here, and the suggestion, is that the ldap driver should be
modified to allow explicit saving of any attribute that may exist in
the ldap schema.

As is, it seem only to provide for the "objectclass" array and the "cn".

I've created a new schema entry  'personalContact' which requires an
ou.  This, of course, being the ou of the owner of that entry and the
ou of 'personalAddressBook".

It seems to me that the ldap driver should be able to accept a line like

'ou' => array( 'xxx' , 'personalContact' ]" ),

and create the attributes accordingly.  I can' see why this couldn't
be done for any attribute.

Any comments?  Suggestions.

Thanks for any help.

* Tom Redfern | Address:    Box 21 Snoqualmie  WA 98065-0021     USA *
*             | Email:      thos at fonebone.net  Phone: (425) 888-7080 *
*             | Recommended Reading List: www.fonebone.net/booklist  *
Democracy:  A government of the masses.  Authority derived through mass
meeting or any other form of "direct" expression.  Results in mobocracy.
Attitude toward property is communistic-negating property rights.
Attitude toward law is that the will if the majority shall regulate.
Whether it is bases upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice,
and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences.  Results in
demagogism, license, agitation, discontent, anarchy.
	US War Dept. Training Manual TM 2000-25 Isssued Nov. 30 1928