[turba] Turba changing contact name

Tom Redfern thos at fonebone.net
Wed Apr 9 10:45:52 PDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 12:00:54PM -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Tom Redfern <thos at fonebone.net>:
>
> > This is an old primary key problem is the db business.  I'm working
> > with a similar problem.  I would suggest that one solution would be to
> > create an attribute (like uid) which is simply guaranteed to be unique
> > and use that for the dn:
>
> This kind of ignores the way LDAP works, though, and doesn't work with a
> directory set up previously.

I'm not sure why it violates any rule of ldap though.

I don't think it's a good idea to use the cn as part of the dn, since
it's something to be changed by users.  You really do need something
unique so users can create and rename as they please - a level of
indirection.

If you did UIDs, I think you would have to generate them outside of ldap.

> -chuck
>
> --
> Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
> "... It is not more light we need, but more warmth! We die of cold, not of
> darkness. It is not the night that kills, but the frost." - Miguel de
> Unamuno

* Tom Redfern | Address:    Box 21 Snoqualmie  WA 98065-0021     USA *
*             | Email:      thos at fonebone.net  Phone: (425) 888-7080 *
*             | Recommended Reading List: www.fonebone.net/booklist  *