[turba] Turba and LDAP as Data Source

Adam Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Mon Jun 9 07:39:46 PDT 2003

> I have been using Horde/IMP for quite sometime and have decided to
> deploy Turba. I have Truba working using LDAP but there are some things
> I need to fix. I have several questions but I'll start with just two or
> three for now...:)
> I have the LDAP OU setup in the following manner:
> ou=personal_addressbook,dc=yaqeen,dc=info
> 	ou=user1,ou=personal_addressbook,dc=yaqeen,dc=info
> 		cn=kirk,ou=user1,ou=personal_addressbook,dc=yaqeen,dc=info
> 		cn=spock,ou=user1,ou=personal_addressbook,dc=yaqeen,dc=info
> 	ou=user2,ou=personal_addressbook,dc=yaqeen,dc=info
> 		cn=ahmed,ou=user2,ou=personal_addressbook,dc=yaqeen,dc=info
> The objectclasses for the user are:
> topp, organizationalPerson, inetOrgPerson, person, pilotPerson
> Is this the optimal way to setup my DIT? Are there other ways of doing
> it, say like putting the address_book stuff under the user account in
> the DIT? Os my use of the objectclasses right or could they be trimmed
> down?

If each user has a personal address book, rooting it somewhere specific
to that user just makes sense.

I'm not certain what you mean by "trimmed down".  An object with and
objectclass of inetOrgPerson MUST also have an objectclass of
organizationalPerson, person, and top in order to satisfy the chain of
descent.

> Also I had to modify the core.schema so that 'sn' is not required to be
> filled in. Is this standards compliant?

No,  modifying the provided schema files is a violation of the
standard.  Only the owner of the schema (who possesses the OID) is
permitted to modify or extend schema.

> By the way, I'm thinking about writing a HOWTO for getting up to speed
> with Turba and LDAP since I have not found one already. And I'm sure
> it'll be helpfull for others...

There are several, including one linked to from the Turba/Horde home
page.

or there is
ftp://ftp.kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf
which covers many things LDAP including Turba.