[turba] Further to; Firstname / LastName in addressbook - splitting them up

Johny horde at agotnes.com
Fri Jun 20 03:12:40 PDT 2003

Quick one for Horde Maintainers;

About a month back I made some patches to Turba to split up firstName /
lastName in the address book and also make the Imp integration sweeter.
I've attached my notes from the changes, see previous thread with
similar subject (strip 'Further to;' ) for actual patches.

Question; If I forward port to HEAD, you lot interested in checking in
to CVS? Coupla guys liked my change, but not an overwhelming response ;)
If interested, let me know, otherwise I'll just run with my patches
until the next stable versions, at which point I'll forward port for my
own benefit if I feel like it at the time ;)

Notes in last posting;

---
I've got some patches against 1.2 which do the following, tested against
LDAP as the backend ;

Add Contact -
   You cannot edit the 'Name' field anymore, instead;
   Add First Name / Last Name, it makes a composite Name out of these
and submits to driver.
   In LDAP this sets cn to composite name, sn to last name and givenName
to first name, basically from the sources.php mapping.

Edit Contact -
   Name is made Read Only on form.
   Editing First Name / Last Name re-sets the Name appropriately and
submits to driver.
   Updating one or both of FirstName/LastName causes the Name to be
modified and updated appropriately.

I have a plan to do the following too;
On Add to Addressbook (the wee icon) I'd like to pop up a wee entry
form, pre-populated with FirstName, LastName and Email, potentially the
  Add Contact form?. The pre-pop could be reasonably smart;

   John Smith (FirstName LastName)
   Smith, John (LastName, FirstName)
   Smith John (would fail, however, cut&paste would allow for easy fix)

Question is, is this of interest to others? Do any of the Horde blokes
see it as useful enough to warrant inclusion in the standard distro? If
so I can re-jig my changes to work with the HEAD and submit proper patches.