[turba] LDAP setup

Christian Rishoj christian at rishoj.net
Sat Aug 30 08:19:26 PDT 2003

> > Should I add an   uid=$1, dc=ond, dc=tv2i, dc=dk   for each user as well? And
> > which objectclass should these be?
>
> This is not very well documented I agree.
>
> You need to bind so some user in the LDAP db.
> I guess the only requirement is to use a objectclass that has the attribute
> userPassword
> like person in core.schema

In order to get some users in the LDAP db, I added

    database        passwd
    suffix          "ou=People, dc=ond, dc=tv2i, dc=dk"

...to slapd.conf.

Now all users on the system show up nicely under People.

However, when I try to log in as ("bind to", as I understand it) one of these, I get an error saying:

    operation not supported within namingContext

A little Googling led me to the conclusion that this error stems from the fact that passwd is not a full LDAP backend and does not support "binds".

Does this make any sense?
Could I make it work in some other way?

Christian