[turba] problem with databases

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Oct 9 05:10:01 PDT 2003

I originally posted this on the general horde list and got no response.  I'm
hoping someone here can help me with my problems with databases and turba

Red Hat 9 with all patches
latest (as of today) Pear

installing horde, imp ,turba, kronolith.

for the most part, things are working OK as long as you don't touch database.
For example horde and imp are working fine reading and sending e-mail.  It's
only when I started trying to set up postgresql for databases for turba and
kronolith did I run into trouble.

initially, postgres was not set up or even running.  The RPMs were installed as
part of the initial system setup.  I started the postgres init script and it
initialized the database... theoretically.

Following the horde instructions, I changed from root to postgres UID and ran
the database initialization script with a proper user ID and password.  I then
followed the subsequent steps for expanding that initial database.  In the end,
I was left with the following databases:

-bash-2.05b$ psql -l
         List of databases
    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
-----------+----------+-----------
  horde     | postgres | SQL_ASCII
  template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
  template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
(3 rows)

I would have expected at least one of the databases to be owned by horde but I
chalked up to my database ignorance.  when I start trying to create additional
database updates for turba, things get unpleasant.

per the instructions on the script I run:

[root at relay2 drivers]#  psql -d pgsql_create.sql
psql: FATAL:  Database "pgsql_create.sql" does not exist in the system catalog.

but I think this doesn't look right?  Let's try:

[root at relay2 drivers]#  psql -f pgsql_create.sql
psql: FATAL:  Database "root" does not exist in the system catalog.

hmmm definitely not right... let's try adding a database and a user:

[root at relay2 drivers]#
[root at relay2 drivers]#  psql -f pgsql_create.sql -d horde -U horde -W
Password:
psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "horde"

and a bit of experimentation later shows that the database really doesn't know
anything about user horde.  So I'm more than a little confused.  I don't know
enough about databases to straighten this out so I would appreciate some pointers.

---eric