[turba] shared address book

anth jaz mail_horde at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 14:51:08 PDT 2003

I am running RH9 with latest Pear, Horde 2.2, IMP 3.2,
Turba 1.2.1, PHP 4.2.2. I am using a freeware POP3 and
SMTP server located on a different computer running on
Windows platform. The idea is to not interrupt the
existing working email configuration but give a web
based interface to the normal email we are already
using. I would also like to create a public/shared
list of employee's email addresses. I have no MySQL
experience and almost none with any type database. I
have still fumbled enough through it to get most of it
working. I am not saying I understand everything I did
completely, just that it is working. There has been
some very detailed Install guides. A very good one I
used was, http://www.geocities.com/oliversl/imp/ .
Unfortunately, there was no information regarding
LDAP.

At this time, users can import .csv files to their
address books, create contact lists in their address
books, and receive and send email successfully.

What I can't get working is a public/shared address
book of employee's emails. Like a global address book
for all employees. The task of helping every employee
import an address book seems a tedious task,
especially as employees come and go. I am not sure if
MySQL can do this or where to start. I have tried to
gather the information myself but it seems if using
LDAP is a better option. Again, I know nothing about
LDAP either. This is a completely new area for me.
>From what I have read I "think" I "need" to have LDAP
but I am not positive.

In horde/turba/config/sources.php, it says," A local
address book in an LDAP directory. This implements a
public (shared) address book." Does this mean that for
a shared address book I can "only" use LDAP?

I have tried installing OpenLDAP but have had no
success. I keep getting errors about BerkeleyDB
version incompatible. I have tried to update to
Berkeley DB 4.1 with no success. If I need LDAP is
there an option to OpenLDAP or is this something I
must get past and join an OpenLDAP mailing list.

-Thanks