[turba] horde db shortcomings

Anil Madhavapeddy anil at recoil.org
Tue Oct 21 16:31:45 PDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 04:09:51PM -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> When I put together open source projects, I try to make an assumption
> that the user needs to know nothing more than what is necessary to get
> the system working, usually by detailed instructions or a guaranteed not
> to fail script.

That's very sound advice.  Could you point to one of your open
source projects with its 'guaranteed not to fail script' so that it
can be used by Horde as well?

> so, if I included a database in one of my projects, I would give
> instance implementers complete instructions on how to set up the
> database completely because it is a bad assumption to assume that the
> user of your project gives a care about databases.  They're just a tool
> to let them get their work done and if they get in the way or are
> difficult to manage, then they are broken and should be discarded as a tool.

You'll notice that Horde does not 'include a database', which is precisely
the point ... it supports a great many different varieties.  I'm afraid
it's up to you to learn how to assemble the different components to
solve your particular problem (which is pretty different from the details
of my own setup I imagine).

If you don't want to do this setup, I'm sure you can find a consultancy
outfit more than willing to assemble it for you for a modest fee.

--
Anil Madhavapeddy                                   http://anil.recoil.org
University of Cambridge                            http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk