[turba] horde db shortcomings

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 28 14:09:15 PST 2003

Quoting "Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org>:

> bad choice of words on my part.  If you are going to use a database and
> include any documentation for a particular variety of database then it
> should state basic assumptions and make sure supplied code works.

The supplied code *did* work.  But DB programs change over time, and if
the scripts don't, then they break.  In many cases, the psql code used
to work with older postgresql code, and is broken with newer code.  In some
cases, people have changed the code so as to break it with some versions.

> otherwise no database scripts should be supplied in the user should be
> left to enter what ever schema was required manually.  supplying scripts
> that cannot work right is actually worse than the second option.

Your assumption that they "cannot work right" is flawed.

> > If you don't want to do this setup, I'm sure you can find a consultancy
> > outfit more than willing to assemble it for you for a modest fee.
>
> it's never a modest fee.

Thanks for insulting a whole (though small) sector of consultancy outfits
based on your flawed belief.

>  and I have to be able to teach others how to
> maintain this thing without calling on me all the time.  It's the rare

So? Have someone teach you, then teach them.

> consultancy that sees this kind of task as a one shot job instead of a
> lifetime meal ticket.

Yes, it may be rare, but it does exist, contrary to your above statements.

> It's like the rent-an-IT-department outfits.  As
> a rule, they will sell solutions that maximize their billable hours
> instead of what's right for the customer because they live or die by the

That is a separate issue.

> billable hour.  Notice what OS and applications they tend to use. ;-)

Linux?  Okay, I know what you mean, but I assure you there are low cost,
linux based, reputable, "one shot" consultants out there that would have
done this job for you (maybe not any more since you've insulted them
multiple times now).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics