[turba] Multiple Source Searching

Mike Bydalek mbydalek at zivix.com
Fri Nov 28 19:55:36 PST 2003

> Quoting Mike Bydalek <mbydalek at zivix.com>:
>
> > Chuck: If this is something you don't want to tackle right now, which way
> you
> > would suggest I go with it?  Multi-select or mark sources 'searchable'?
>
> Sources are already marked as searchable or not in sources.php. Are you
> suggesting that any source marked as "searchable" would be *always* searched
> whenever you did a search in Turba? I think that's a really bad idea.

I can see how you think it is a bad idea, but there are some situations in which
it can be helpful (unless there is somehow a way to link Contacts <->
Companies, or 1 source field to another).

An example of this is that we have a company as a client, yet there are 15
contacts within that company.  So, we put the company name itself and main
contact number, general company notes etc. in 1 source (Companies), and then
the 15 workers in a seperate source called "Contacts."  What would be nice is
to be able to search for CompanyX and get ALL the contacts so we can pick to
use the main line to goto a grunt, or go straight to a main individual (CEO,
CFO, etc.)

The linking I mean would be something like a drop-down when adding a Contact in
Contacts with all the Companies listed instead of typing in the company name.
This can lead to problems where people mis-spell, or abbreviate, or whatever
(ie. Audio Video Dynamics and also be AVD)

If you know of a good way to do this (other than putting them all into 1 source
which I suppose I could do), that would be great.

Thanks,
Mike