[turba] LDAP problems

Edwin Culp eculp at viviendaatualcance.com.mx
Sun Feb 8 17:13:46 PST 2004

Quoting "E. Stuart Hicks" <ehicks at binarymagi.com>:

> The versions are:
>
> Turba 1.2.1
> Horde 2.2.4
> OpenLDAP 2.2.5
> PHP 4.3.5RC2-dev
>
> I've linked Horde's LDAP schema into the schema directory and added in
> include for it into the slapd.conf file.
>
> Like I said, though, I'm a total newbie to LDAP so 'trivial' is hardly the
> word I'd use.  LDAP is proving to be rather convoluted and counterintuitive.
> Honestly, I only put it on here because I wanted an address book system that
> I could use the same way you use an IMAP server - one central location that
> mail clients can connect to wherever they are on the Internet.  I was hoping
> that I wouldn't have to learn LDAP inside out to do so, either, because the
> documentation I found on openldap.org is rather "lacking" at best and
> doesn't tell me how to test anything or use half of the tools included.  I
> suppose I shouldn't expect too much out of Michigan, though...them being
> able to find their 'on' switches amazes me enough. :)
>
> Regardless of everything else, I still would think that the public LDAP
> servers should work just fine; however, they're still managing to lock up my
> server for anything Horde-related.  That's the error that worried me the
> most because it's got nothing to do with my local LDAP server.  PHP should
> be talking to a known-working LDAP server across the net and getting results
> back.  Instead, the page locks up, the rest of Horde locks up, and the
> server needs restarting.  (Just Horde, though - the rest of the website
> doesn't miss a beat.  It's very odd.)

I haven't tried the public servers for a long time but they should work without
any problem, I just don't have anyone to search for ;-)
Why don't you just try a
# ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope base
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: namingContexts
#

#
dn:
namingContexts: dc=binarymagi,dc=com
# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

If so then try a:
ldapsearch -x -D 'cn=manager,dc=binarymagi,dc=com' -w secret

Correct the above in acordance with your slapd.conf and you should see the
contents of your ldap directory.

Do you?

Before we move on, I have a couple of questions that I should have probably
asked in the begining:

  Are you using ldap for authetication for horde and family?
  Are you authenticating in horde or an application?
  Are you able to login to horde?

Thanks,

ed