[turba] mozilla groupOfNames compatibility ?

Feczak Szabolcs feczo at siodigit.hu
Mon Mar 8 02:54:35 PST 2004

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Not without changing code, but it'd be a great thing to support. Patches?
> Suggestions? Specs?

I have played with this a bit and come to the conclusion it is not worth
it at the moment.
Since mozilla has this groupOfNames stored in a realy redundant way, so
beside
the cn index pointer it stores the email address as well, which puts it
into realy inconsistent
state if a member entry is being updated and the groupOfNames property not.
Mozilla is unable to resolve the pointers at the moment, so it retrives
the email addresses
from the groupOfNames record itself. It would be realy huge amount of code
to handle these triggered updates, though not impossible, but I do not
think it is the
way it ment to be.

I suggest to wait for mozilla people work out this resolve issue, or
help them with it. Maybe
it would worth a visit on the moz-dev list.

Since my users are waiting this feature desperately we made the
following simple suggestion
to them, which is not the most beautiful one, but works at least:
Enter the group name after the first name in square brackets like this:

Display Name: John Raider
First: John [customers]
Last: Raider

So when you are in mozilla contacts you can search for [customers] which
gives you the
results exactly what you wanted, and when you write an email it will put
the Display Name
before the email address so it won't bother you or your partner.