Fwd: Re: [turba] encoding DN

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun May 23 16:38:16 PDT 2004

----- Forwarded message from patrik at olesen.it -----
    Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 21:58:35 +0200
    From: Patrik Olesen <patrik at olesen.it>
 Subject: Re: [turba] (no subject)
      To: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>

> I just don't know the relevant standards enough to know if this is
> right or not.

It depends on which ldap version you would like to support.
ldapv1 requires that all textual values is IA5 (ASCII) (RFC1777)
ldapv2 here it exist some different implementations some which use ISO 8859-1,
others use UCS-2, others use UTF-8, and some even use the current local
character set (RFC3494)
ldapv3 supports UTF-8 see (RFC3377 or RFC2253)

/ Patrik

> Quoting Patrik Olesen <patrik at olesen.it>:
>
>> Is there any reason why you don't convert dn too the charset specified in the
>> conf file when you are using ldap?
>
> I just don't know the relevant standards enough to know if this is right or
> not. Any LDAP folks want to chime in?
>
>> If not it could be nice to apply the following patch
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Patrik Olesen
>>
>> diff -r1.49 ldap.php
>> 348a349
>>>               $newrdn = String::convertCharset($newrdn, NLS::getCharset(),
>> $this->_params['charset']);
>> 422c423
>> <         return $dn;
>> ---
>>>         return String::convertCharset($dn, NLS::getCharset(),
>> $this->_params['charset
>> ']);

----- End forwarded message -----

-chuck