[turba] Bugfixes: how to support the project?

Christoph Schulz develop at kristov.de
Sun Oct 17 08:56:01 PDT 2004

Hello everybody,

first I have to thank all the people behind the Horde project and its
subprojects for the great work! It's a real pleasure to work with Horde
and its applications (especially Imp, Kronolith, and Turba, which I'm
currently using). I have tried several projects which aim at providing
the functionality supported by Horde, and no-one has convinced me so far
but Horde. Please continue this great work, as IMHO many will profit
from it.

However, since I started working with Turba 1.2.2 (the last stable
version IIRC), I have found two bugs in the LDAP support:

- Distinguished Names have not been encoded (UTF-8) if requested;
because the "cn" (Common Name) was included in my DNs by default, no
person with non-ASCII characters could be added.

- It was not possible to change that attribute used by the DNs. Because
the "cn" attribute is used by default for that purpose, you were not
allowed to rename a person!

So I began tweaking Turba a bit to fix the bugs mentioned above. This
was surprisingly easy. Now my questions:

- Is there any interest in these patches? If yes, I'll add some comments
and create a small patch set against the 1.2.2 version of Turba. If no,
I'll simply shut up and use my patched version on my own until the
official version fixes the bugs mentioned above. (Of course, someone
could point out that these are not bugs but "features by design".)

- How to contribute my patches? Is there any patch release system Horde
developers use? Is it possible for others to review the patch before it
is eventually accepted or declined? Of course I've tested it (cause I
use it every day), but that might be not enough.

- The patches are not complete because I was only able to change, test,
and use the LDAP driver. A code review made me think that similar
problems related to renaming a person exist in the SQL driver. I did not
change any SQL driver code. It would be nice if anyone who knows/uses
the SQL driver could help me to develop/test the needed changes.

It would be nice if someone was so kind to point me into the right
direction how I should proceed from now on.

Best regards,
  Christoph

P.S.: I'm not a native English speaker, so I apologize for any
misunderstandings caused in advance.