[turba] Shared addressbook

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Mon Oct 17 06:27:49 PDT 2005

Here's an attempt to summarize the different share options available in
Turba. Some confusion likely arises from the use of the word "share",
since it can
mean an object (Horde_Share) that permissions can be set on, and it can
also be
a state that defines whether or not a preconfigured source is accessible by
more than one individual (i.e. the address book is shared).

In FRAMEWORK_3 code (Turba 2.X):
Check the 'public' and 'readonly' config options available for each
source.  You
could create a read-only but public LDAP address book, which would serve as a
global shared address book, and also have a local private SQL addressbook.  Or
you could have a local private SQL address book (turba_objects table) and a
second SQL address book (turba_objects2 table, just clone the table name and
adjust the config accordingly, and set it to public).  And so on...

In HEAD code:
The above could still apply, although the config options have changed a
bit.  A
new feature has been added that implements the Horde_Share concept.  It is
currently only supported for SQL address books, and I believe is largely
untested.  In answer to the question of why Turba didn't have this
before? Likely because Turba was written before the concept of a Horde
Share existed
and a wholesale replacement of the previous methods of sharing address books
would have broken backwards compatibility.  I'd guess you'd see a Share based
approach going forward and I'm sure testing and patches would be welcome and
would help that code advance more quickly.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator