[turba] turba does not show correct charset

Frank Purmann fpurmann at fpw.ch
Wed Nov 8 07:48:04 PST 2006

Frank Purmann <fpurmann <at> fpw.ch> writes:

> I have upgraded horde (turba, imp, etc) to
>
> # Horde: 3.1.2
> # Imp: H3 (4.1.1)
> # Kronolith: H3 (2.1)
> # Mnemo: H3 (2.1)
> # Nag: H3 (2.1)
> # Turba: H3 (2.1)
>
> The problem is that addresses in turba do not display correctly in Korean (they
> have done it with the old version horde 2.1). The same happens when adding a
> address with the new version in Korean.
> Menus and reading emails in Korean does work properly.
> Our default charset in MySql is iso-8859-1 (version 3.23 I know its old but it
> worked with the previous version of horde).
>
> It seems to me that when reading the data from MySql the conversion back to the
> Korean charset does not work.

What I found out is that the wrong charsets are used. It uses the browser
encoding settings instead of the user language. I made a quick fix to solve the
problem in
turba/lib/Driver/sql.php:
function _convertToDriver($value)
    {
        return String::convertCharset($value, $GLOBALS['language'],
$this->_params['charset']);
    }

and in /usr/share/horde3/lib/Horde/String.php:
function convertCharset...
$to = $GLOBALS['language'];

BUT I'm not sure that I understood(and solved) it correctly. So any comment will
be welcome.