[turba] Sharing address books, part deux

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Fri Nov 10 17:52:47 PST 2006

Quoting Eric <spamsink at scoot.netis.com>:

> I'm wondering, though, if that assumes that each user is going to be
> using his individual address book.
>
> Any potential for problems if two or more users are editing the same
> address book at the same time?

Turba doesn't hold any locks on the database...it strictly reads the
data then displays the data to the user in the browser - regardless of
if it's a view or edit screen.  Sooooo, what it comes down to is that
if two users have PERMS_WRITE on a single address book, then the more
recent user changes will be reflected in the databse.

If by some chance two users are commiting changes to the address book
at 'exactly' the same time (ignoring the whole einstein relativity
thing ;) ) then I imagine it depends on how the database you are using
handles 'collisions' of this sort.

Thanks,
mike

--