[turba] Restrincting to a shared read-only address book

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Wed May 16 22:14:27 UTC 2007

Quoting Luigi Iotti <horde at iotti.biz>:

> Hi all
>
> I'm new to the list. I'm preparing a locked-in IMP-4.1.3 + Turba-2.1.2
> environment. All the prefs are locked by default.
> I'd like to have only one address book, which should be shared and read-only
> for all the users, except for an "admin" user who can update the address
> book. I obtained almost everything I wanted: I created the admin user,
> created the localsql address book, shared it in the admin user, applied only
> show and read permissions for others.
> My users see the address book and are able to use it. They can use only this
> address book since I set both the addressbooks and default_dir prefs to
> localsql:admin.
> The only thing I can't get rid of is the "My Address Book" button on the top
> left of the Turba menu bar and, if I click on it, I am presented with the
> options to create a new address book or modify the user's existing one.
> These options are not usable at all, since the user only sees the admin's
> address book, but their presence is annoying.
> On the other hand, having a look at the code it seems that this button is
> showed because the localsql source is configured with use_shares = true . I
> can't change this since admin needs it to be able to share the address book.
>
> The only way I found to get rid of the button was to comment out the
> following lines from lib/Turba.php :
> if ($GLOBALS['haveShare']) {
>    $menu->add(Horde::applicationUrl('addressbooks.php'), _("_My Address
> Books"), 'turba.png');
> }
>
> But I don't like to mess with the code. Is there a way to have only the
> admin user to own an address book, or to map the use_shares attribute on a
> per-user basis, or some other trick to make that button disappear?
> Or maybe, a new pref could be introduced to force $GLOBALS['haveShare'] to
> be false even if the source has use_shares = true ?

Not currently. In fact, setting $GLOBALS['haveShare'] to false would
prevent any of your shared sources from loading as that is what flags
base.php to load all the shares available to the user.  Commenting out
the menu is currently the only way I can think of to have the
functionalitly of shares, without showing the My AddressBook page.  Of
course, this won't prevent users from navigating there directly,
although there is nothing they can really do once there.

I suppose an argument could be made for adding either a configuration
option or maybe a new permission to Turba that could toggle the
availability of the My Addressbook page?

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)