[turba] Turba and character set encoding

Piotr Legiecki piotrlg at sci.pam.szczecin.pl
Thu May 29 13:56:06 UTC 2008

Michael Rubinsky pisze:

> Have you made sure you have the correct charset set in the global SQL
> configuration?  Administration->Setup->Horde->Database Tab

iso-8859-2

and in /etc/horde/horde3/conf.php
$conf['sql']['charset'] = 'iso-8859-2';

and system encoding for mysql system (character_set_system) is  UTF-8
Unicode (utf8) according to phpmyadmin info. But that shouldn't be the
problem, anyway mysql allows me to have each database or even table had
different charset encoding.

Wonder what happens when I add contact using polish characters with my
firefox which says that this page is in utf8? There must be some kind of
conversion between my input and mysql?

I don't know why when I run
mysql -u root horde-pl
 > show variables like 'character_set%';
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| Variable_name            | Value                      |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| character_set_client     | latin1                     |
| character_set_connection | latin1                     |
| character_set_database   | latin2                     |
| character_set_filesystem | binary                     |
| character_set_results    | latin1                     |
| character_set_server     | latin1                     |
| character_set_system     | utf8                       |
| character_sets_dir       | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |

with those settings the characters are not displayed ok

and I have to
 > set names latin2;

to display national characters ok. maybe mysql invoked form php/horde
should set something also and it does not? Hm, mysql 4 wordek fine.

Regards
Piotr