[turba] Turba and character set encoding

Piotr Legiecki piotrlg at sci.pam.szczecin.pl
Fri May 30 10:08:27 UTC 2008

> Why do you insist in storing your contact data in ISO 8859-2?

Well, I'm not sure but maybe because previously it worked ok?

Most of the data we have in our databases are stored using latin2 or
windows 1250 (?) and AFAIK utf8 is not so widely supported especially in
closed sourced custom software ;-(

> Hence,
> - every WWW form should accept Unicode data (preferably UTF-8),
> - the addressbook, at least the Name, and Street-Address fields,
>   should be stored in Unicode (preferably UTF-8).
> If both teh WWW form and the Database are in the same Unicode
> encoding scheme, no conversion needs to take place between front-
> and backend.

Well, so I have setup horde to utf8? Is horde 3.1.3 with php 4.4.4
working ok with utf8?

And setup my database to utf8? Hm, what about my old contacts data
encoded in iso-8859-2? what is the easiest way to convert it to utf8?
Maybe during backup or restore?

Hm. I have changed to utf8 and turba contacts looks ok now but when I
use phpmyadmin to browse the database I don't see the proper characters.
  In phpmyadmin I'm logged in using utf-8 also. Why?

It is really a mess with those encodings.

Regards
Piotr