[turba] how to simplify my turba upgrade process

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Sep 1 16:18:52 UTC 2009

Quoting "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>:

>   ok, i think i see where i misunderstood the fundamental process of
> upgrading turba -- that the basic schema of the addressbook is
> user-definable.  so let me ask a much simpler question that might make
> short work of my confusion.
>
>   to recap, i'm upgrading a horde install on a debian system from an
> old 3.0.5 to the latest.  to do that, i started from scratch and
> installed horde -- just the infrastructure.  and that worked fine, no
> apps, just the infrastructure.
>
>   now, one at a time, i'm adding back in the formerly-installed horde
> (and non-horde) apps, un-tarring each app's current tarball following
> each app's UPGRADING instructions and possibly upgrading that app's
> data schema in the process.
>
>   i've already re-installed the (kronolith) calendar just that way,
> and it appears to work just fine, so now i'm working on the turba
> addressbooks data.  and before i get detailed, will this basic recipe
> get me my addressbooks back?
>
>   1) note the current set of addressbook tables in the horde database
>      (currently four of them)
>
>   2) following what i read in UPGRADING, run the appropriate scripts
>      to upgrade their schemas

Only if they need to be updated. i.e if you are updating the
sources.php file from the new *.dist version and plan to use the
'localsql' configuration. Otherwise, you just need to make sure you
have appropriate maps in the entries.

>   3) to start from scratch, delete *every* trace of turba from the
>      new horde install -- that is, the share tables, the install
>      directory ... *everything* except the addressbook tables

Not sure why you would do this if your running the upgrade scripts...I
don't see what version of Turba you are upgrading from, but if you
have any share data this will obviously nuke it.

>   4) install the latest version of the turba tarball back under
>      the "horde" directory, and perform its standard configuration
>
>   5) do whatever it takes to configure the new turba, pointing it
>      at the existing addressbooks, figuring out how this "share"
>      stuff works while i'm at it.
>

>   does that sound reasonable?  i'm being vague about that last step
> since i'll get to that later.  but other than that, is my *general*
> idea of how to add the addressbooks back into the new horde install
> sane?  because if it is, i can at least start by deleting all
> turba-related content (except for the existing addressbooks) and
> re-installing, so i know i'm beginning with a pristine install.
>
>   thoughts?  at the very worst, as long as i hang onto those
> addressbooks, i can always start over if i somehow screw up.

Except for my notes above, sounds like this should work.

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)