[turba] Contact in this list that is not viewable to you - related.

ANANT S ATHAVALE asa at isac.gov.in
Tue Apr 13 10:08:25 UTC 2010

----- Message from jan at horde.org ---------
     Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:37:46 +0200
     From: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
  Subject: Re: [turba] Contact in this list that is not viewable to
you - related.
       To: turba at lists.horde.org

> Zitat von ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:
>
>> Dear List,
>>
>> My users were complaining of the problem as mentioned in the subject.
>>
>> We have set up a global address book with LDAP.  I was advising
>> users to create contact lists of their own by searching for persons
>> from LDAP address book and adding to their contact lists.  And most
>> of the users are using this feature.
>>
>> Now, users started complaining that for many lists which they
>> created, they get the message "There is/are xx contact in this list
>> that is not viewable to you".
>>
>> Now, I tried to debug the problem and now I know the problem.
>>
>> Whenever a user searches from LDAP address book and adds the person
>> to his contact list, the address book "turba_objects" instead of
>> adding just the name and email id of the searched person, also
>> stores the LDAP hierarchy "ou, ou", etc of that person.  Everything
>> is OK till the hierarchy of that person remains the same.  If the
>> person's  hierarchy in LDAP gets changed,   the users are getting
>> the above error/warning.
>>
>> How to come out of this problem?
>
> If the users are the owners of the list, any contacts of this list
> that can't be found anymore are deleted automatically.

Users are owners of the list.  The contacts remain in LDAP, but not at
the same hierarchy.  Ie. The hierarchy which existed at the time of
creation of contact list is now different.

> If the user does not have write permissions on the list, they will
> get this error message, until the list was opened by the admin.

User has write permission on the list.

Is it required that, when storing a contact after a search from LDAP
directory, to also to store the LDAP hierarchy?  Can it not be done
without storing hierarchy?  In our organisational setup, we have
frequent changes in Hierarchy of a person which get reflected in LDAP.

ANANT.