[turba] Turba 4alpha1 and display listing.

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Jul 11 19:26:35 UTC 2012

Quoting Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:

> On 11 July 2012 14:19, Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:

>>> Where?  I have:
>>>
>>> View to display by default:
>>> --> This is limited to Address Book Listing or Search
>>> Maximum number of pages
>>> --> Set to 200
>>> Number of items per page
>>> --> Set to 50
>>>
>>> And still every time I go to Turba, I only see the 14 contacts I have
>>> listed under A.  A is the only link in the list not clickable and I
>>> have to click All to see All.
>>

>> Probably because you have more than 50 contacts.
>

> But less than 14 of them begin with A.  Given the options and the
> defaults, I would expect the first 50 contacts to be shown - whether
> that's A-C or A-Z, so with all due respect, some additional wording
> may be needed.
>
> But you're right, changing that to more than the number of the
> contacts in the address book does indeed show all.  But for any value
> less than the total address book it limits to A only.  That's not
> clear from those values or variable descriptions.  Because it's only
> number of items per page if the total number of items is less than the
> added value.

No, because if you have less than max per page contacts, there is no
need to page them. If you have more that max-per-page contacts, it is
paged. The only paging we do is alphabetical. If you have more that
max-per-page contacts that start with A, then the A's are also paged.

If you have better wording for those prefs, feel free to suggest some.

> Finally, let's say I set this to 200 (the average non-corporate
> address-book).  User has all his/her contacts displaying for years and
> years and years.  One day, because of a sync error or just because
> they reach 201, bam, they are back to just 3 contacts listed under A
> and I'm getting phone calls and emails asking why it's "broken"..

I would think it's pretty obvious that if the Pager is showing, you
have to click on the letters to see them. If it's not showing then
there is no paging. I.e., the pager doesn't show if you don't need it,
so it should be obvious that the contacts are now being paged.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org