[whups] Using whups moving forward

Mike Baptiste mike@msbnetworks.net
Mon Nov 4 16:11:50 2002

We're looking at using whups (and a number of other horde packages) for
both internal and external stuff in our IT Department (Duke University's
Engineerng School)

I'll start with Whups - Chuck - amazing job.  We were struggling to
decide between Remedy (which we have access to as part of Duke) and a
system we could modify.  Bugzilla and Scarab are well along, but still
had too much of a 'bug' feel and using it for tickets and service
requests didn't fit well.  Email integration was spotty.  RT was OK, but
not quite what we wanted.

Whups meets a number of our needs right now even though its not 100%
complete.  A big plus was the backend authentication flexibility.  So
we're 99.9% sure we're going to run with whups and try to help develop
some things.  So before I move that final 0.1% I had some questions
about direction, etc (the previous threads have been great - I really
like what is being discussed)

I really liked seeing the 'Groups that can see this comment' option
(though it doesn't shw any groups)  I'd love to have tickets be public
with certain comments private to hide stuff that might compromise our
systems, etc or just comments we wouldnt' want the public to see.  Is
this the planned intent?

Expanding that into permissions, are there plans to expand the
granularity of permissions?  For example, we might want guests to be
able to create tickets without granting them edit capability.

Also, it might be nice to have some type of regexp object in permissions
so I could create a group that looks for domain duke.edu or something
like that.  This would be a very powerful feature to help mold your
ticket permissions across multiple projects.

What are the plans for email notifications ala, ticket changes and
notify reporter and assign to, etc  With realistic logic to avoid the 'I
added myself as a listener' type spam from Bugzilla.

It might be nice to tie permissions to the actual 'actions' in WHups
(Add comment, assign, set state, etc)  This would be nice to allow
anyone to comment while restricting ticket assignment to an admin.  Same
for state changes, etc.

I really like the ideas of a previous poster regarding nag integration.
~   Very cool idea.

We're really excited about this and hope to be able to provide
development help as we deploy this.  We eventually would like to try and
mold a number of horde projects into a Sourceforge like environment for
open source development at Duke.  We're just geeting our feet wet beyond
a vanilla IMP/Turba install with whups and we'll grow from there.

Am I totally off base here?

Mike Baptiste
Director of IT
Duke University Pratt School of Engineering