[whups] Using whups moving forward

Gary Weinreb gweinreb@rocksolidsystems.com
Mon Nov 4 20:54:17 2002

Mike,

It's nice to see your post.  I divide my time between Durham and Charlotte,
so perhaps as our mutual Whups-based projects progress we can meet in
Durham and chat...

Comments interspersed:

At 11:11 AM 11/4/2002 -0500, Mike Baptiste wrote:

>We're looking at using whups (and a number of other horde packages) for
>both internal and external stuff in our IT Department (Duke University's
>Engineerng School)

<SNIP>

Are you specifically looking at using Whups for "Bug Tracking"? or are you
interested in using it for other things?

<SNIP>

>Also, it might be nice to have some type of regexp object in permissions
>so I could create a group that looks for domain duke.edu or something
>like that.  This would be a very powerful feature to help mold your
>ticket permissions across multiple projects.

This seems similar to why I'm interested in some sort of templating
mechanism.  I, as you may have gathered, am very interested in modifying
Whups for Project/Workflow Management.  I have recurring Clients and
Projects, and I don't want to have my users recreate States, Priorities,
Responsible Users, People to Notify, etc. over and over again...

>What are the plans for email notifications ala, ticket changes and

<SNIP>

It seems that Chuck is rolling ahead in fleshing out the Permissions and
Notification stuff.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with...

>I really like the ideas of a previous poster regarding nag integration.
>~   Very cool idea.

That's me.  Glad you like.  I'd like to hear how you are thinking about
using Whups.  Maybe you can help shape my ideas towards a solution that
will serve you as well...

>We're really excited about this and hope to be able to provide
>development help as we deploy this.  We eventually would like to try and
>mold a number of horde projects into a Sourceforge like environment for
>open source development at Duke.  We're just geeting our feet wet beyond
>a vanilla IMP/Turba install with whups and we'll grow from there.

Exciting!  I've actually done some consulting for the business end of
Duke.  I'd love to participate in this if there is any room for outside
folks...  Maybe I should become a student! <g>.

>Am I totally off base here?

I don't think so.  As a relative newcomer to the Horde project, but with
20+ years of IT consulting experience, I think this is a very serious
solution to a broad spectrum of IT needs.  As a framework it is very
flexible and easily scalable, two attributes I look for...  I have always
preferred having source code to software that I haven't written, but which
am responsible for implementing.

My current project, which involves modifying/extending Whups, is my first
significant interaction with the Horde team, and I am very encouraged and
enthused.  I am under no illusions.  I lurked on the Horde lists and messed
around on my own for months before jumping in.  I haven't yet contributed
anything, but I sense that I am more cautious than some.  Modifying these
programs correctly, even implementing them effectively, is not for the
novice, nor for one who requires lot's of hand-holding, but for someone who
is willing to figure things out for themselves, it is a tremendous body of
work upon which to build.

My strategy is to uncover common ground between meeting my client's needs
and helping to discover the will of the Horde community, remaining flexible
as I observe what others are interested in achieving, and how they want to
go about it, and attempting to contribute the pieces that seem to fall to
me.  This last part is the work for me, as I have always been quicker at
coming up with good ideas, than at implementing them...

Regards,
Gary Weinreb