[whups] Whups - Turba Integration

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Tue Nov 5 00:33:15 2002

Quoting Gary Weinreb <gweinreb@rocksolidsystems.com>:

> The whups_modules table stores some module specific data for the whups
> program, that I don't want to store in turba, so I don't want to do away
> with it, I just want to create a streamlined, intuitive, methodology for
> designating that certain Addressbook entries are "Clients" for inclusion
> in Project Management - Billing.  Also, it would be nice to use a pointer
> back to Turba from Whups, to include Clients in an "external" notification
> cycle within Whups, without maintaining duplicate contact data.

I agree on all of this.

> my installation while waiting for some feedback...  I am assuming that
> Turba_List is being fleshed out, and will eventually have maintenance
> facilities, i.e. the ability to easily add & remove entries from specific
> lists through the Turba interface...

We should definitely add API methods to do that, if that's what you mean.

> It seems like the best way of designating that some contacts are Clients,
> while maintaining Turba backend autonomy, is to have a preference for
> Whups, specifiying that integration between the two is desired, and then
> have hooks in Whups to maintain concurrency between a specific, maybe
> programmatically created, Turba-List: a Project_Clients list, and the
> whups_modules table.    The hooks would reach from whups back towards the
> designated Turba_list, to maintain records in whups_tables based on the
> Turba_list, and add/remove entries from the Turba list if added/removed
> in whups_modules.  (Delete only if there are no "unresolved" projects...)
>
> What do ya'll think?  I think that this is probably a good "first" mod
> for me, if 1) ya'll think it is an acceptable addition, and 2) some of you
> more experienced Horde coders will kindly provide me with feedback as I
> work through it...

This sounds good to me; I like the idea of using a list for it. There are a
few complications with non-shared addressbooks, most of which could be
resolved by setting the owner of the list to "whups" somehow and requiring
that it be initially created from inside Whups.

There's a ton of stuff here that I'd love to respond to, but I won't be
able to keep up probably until I get back from Frankfurt (www.php-
conference.de) Wednesday night and recover from jet lag Thursday. :)

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"People ask me all the time what it will be like living without otters."