[whups] Clients

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Oct 7 21:00:52 PDT 2004

I need a few people to speek up about what they actually use the clients
functionality for in Whups. I started looking at how to rewrite it to use
RelationshipManager, and ended up simply removing all references to clients
from my local version. Looks much cleaner now. ;)

Obviously I'm not going to just commit that, though, without figuring out what
the need is. So some questions:

- Do multiple clients really need to share the same queue? Even if they do, is
this something that can be solved more cleanly with better queue permissions?

- What if queue attributes were extended to be both searchable and customizable,
so you could custom-define a field that was added to all tickets in queue Foo to
be a dropdown of clients? Or, a dropdown of ... kinds of tomatoes? Etc. Would be
a decent amount of work, but potentially a far bigger payoff in terms of
flexibility/functionality.

- Or does this really need to be in the core of Whups? If so, I say forget about
relationshipmanager and add a db field for client_id.

- What's needed (or desired) in terms of integration with Hermes? I'm not very
familiar with where this is now. If you could link a ticket with a time entry
in hermes, and custom fields (those queue attributes) could be linked in too,
how would that be? Or maybe if you entered hours along with comments in Whups,
and that generated an entry in Hermes automatically? Etc.

Just trying to understand how this should all work before I put more time into
putting it back together/ripping it up.

-chuck

--
"But she goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy." - John Quincy Adams