[whups] Auto-Submitted field in the email

Auke Bruinsma air2 at dds.nl
Tue Feb 21 23:48:35 PST 2006

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Zitat von Auke Bruinsma <air2 at dds.nl>:
>

>> I use the mail-filter script to automaticly scrape my e-mail box and
>> change them in to tickets.
>> When someone sends an e-mail with an not existing reply address the
>> mail-daemon sends an e-mail to notify of the unknown address. So a new
>> ticket is created and send to mailer-daemon, but at this specific server
>> the mailer-daemon is a non-existing address so this results in an
>> endless loop.
>>
>> To avoid this loops and to confirm more to the used mailing standards it
>> should be prefereable to make some preference which makes it possible to
>> don't send any reply when an e-mail is received with the auto-submitted
>> header set to an other value as no. Also to include the auto-submitted
>> header in the mails send by whups. If it is desirable I will open a new
>> bugticket and attach some patch to it.
>>

> |... I've committed something similar
> to your patch; I just had processMail() ignore messages generated by
> Whups instead of recording them and not sending notifications.|

As I understand this means messages with the auto-submitted field just
get lost. Is this always desirable? I could think of situations you want
to know a message dit not reach the customer/client. So thats why I
would not ignore the message, but just send no reply at the message to
avoid an endless loop.

ps. You said (http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/?id=3398) I had to re-read
the coding standard. You mean any specific part I did wrong? cuz I
didn't had the idea it was off standards.