[wicked] wiki page "attributes"

Jason M. Felice jfelice at cronosys.com
Mon Jul 12 18:09:32 PDT 2004

I've recently been using our corporate wiki to store a lot of different
kinds of stuff, including contact management and scheduling type stuff.
I figured out the Portland Pattern Repository's Category method (see ppp's
CategoryCategory node), which is really neat and started using it.

I then thought that I could do almost everything I need if I had
searchable attributes on pages, so I implemented this.  You can now put
in the markup:

[[WikiWord: value]]

The rule will render a string of attributes elegantly, so you can group
them together on a page (although nothing prevents you from keeping them
separate).

Right now, it is just a markup rule; eventually, I will add some stuff
to the database so that pages are indexed by attribute names and values
so that searches can be performed efficiently.

I'm enforcing a WikiWord as the attribute name (I use AttributeXXX), so you
can go to the attribute's page for a description of the attribute and
use Back Links to see all the nodes with that attribute.

This is obviously breaking ground, and I don't like mucking with wiki's
simplicity, so feedback, comments, and flames are very welcome.

--
 Jason M. Felice
 Cronosys, LLC <http://www.cronosys.com/>