[wicked] Re: Horde Documentation Application

Jason M. Felice jfelice at cronosys.com
Wed Oct 13 06:13:50 PDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 11:45:25AM +0200, Jan Schneider wrote:
> Zitat von Karsten Fourmont <fourmont at gmx.de>:
>
> >>Alternately, the "book" application could be entirely seperate,
> >>using the new
> >>Horde application/browse API to select anything at all - so you
> >>could build a
> >>"book" of some wiki pages, some files from Gollem, an appendix of a
> >>task list
> >>from Nag...
> >
> >Cool idea. Linking to various horde items would be really great. But I
> >don't
> >think this would require a new "book" application (though this still might
> >be
> >an option).
> >
> >I'd rather go for adding the general possibility of linking to a
> >horde item to
> >wicked (or at least to wicked book pages).
> >
> >>This would make it more complicated to do docbook/pdf type generation,
> >>but very flexible overall...
> >
> >I think it's worth the effort: we could enhance the application/browse API
> >have kind of a "renderTo" api call. So you could retrieve a task list
> >rendered
> >as "inline" HTML or docbook-XML. Not all apps would have to support all
> >rendering formats of
> >course.
>
> And the book generator could be smart enough to take a different rendering
> method from the app and convert the result to the requested format if the
> app doesn't support it natively.

Strangely enough, at today I'm about to start an API to render an
application's data to static HTML (for purpose of creating a browseable
static CD version of a site).  Is there intersection here?  I'm talking
about rendering all public objects as full pages, and you're talking
about rendering a particular object as inline HTML or docbook.

--
 Jason M. Felice
 Cronosys, LLC <http://www.cronosys.com/>