[horde] selecting authentication backend

Tjeerd van der Zee tjeerd.vdzee at chello.nl
Tue May 14 04:04:03 PDT 2002

Hi,

I've got a question or two ... i've been using horde and imp to my satisfaction, but there are some questions  ...

First the authentication backend, i'am running courier with ldap authentication so selecting imap or ldap
in horde doesn't make a big diference as both gets the user in. But why is the ldap or mysql option there then, if imap would
use the ldap or mysql backend for authentication ? speed issue ?

Now what i would like to do is to maintain 2 seperate mail account groups so the main accounts ( system accounts )
can't be accessed by horde / imp. As a result of this i ran into problems, the first one is the ldap authentication,
I've selected ldap authentication in horde.conf and added the auth params like this:

$conf['auth']['driver'] = 'ldap';

$conf['auth']['params']['hostspec'] = 'localhost';
$conf['auth']['params']['port'] = '389';
$conf['auth']['params']['basedn'] = 'cn=virtualmailaccounts,ou=mailaccounts,o=xar.nl';
$conf['auth']['params']['uid'] = 'mail';
$conf['auth']['params']['rootdn'] = 'cn=root,o=xar.nl';
$conf['auth']['params']['username'] = 'Manager';
$conf['auth']['params']['password'] = '**********';

but for some reason it doesn't read the basedn for looking up mail accounts, but for storing preferences in horde to ldap it
does work. For this reason all mail accounts shattered thru ldap are accessible from the web.

I've done some digging thru the source code for the user management in horde as it didn't work with the above settings,
i came across some stuff in Auth.php about not setting the last three lines as displayed above but varams.

Both settings don't work, as the first results in: that i still can't add or search users, and the second with varams
results in a bind problem with ldap. I've tried to find out why but couldn't solve it. My guess is is that the problem
is in the $credential['password'].

Does anyone know if this is possible to do ? to sepperate mailaccounts ?

Tjeerd van der Zee