[horde] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Interface design Horde 4.1/5.0

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:34:24 UTC 2012

On 2012-04-24 1:13 PM, "Jānis" <je at ktf.rtu.lv> wrote:

> Citējot Louis-Philippe Allard <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com>
> Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:18:02 -0400:
>

>> What do they find annoying with the dynamic view? ?  Apart a few bugs I
>> find it very easy to use.. sure there are some space left for improvement
>> but that's why horde 5 will be better!
>

> it's difficult to say - some just asked whether the previous (traditional
look) isn't around anymore, some expressed personal frustration... I can't
give a technical "disliked because this or that did not work", so i found
it much easier to issue "technical advice" how to get traditional view back
on desktop.

> Besides, I think if the job is done, it is absolutely unimportant whether
one used bells and whistles or just "traditional" tools. To my and my
colleague's mind, forced introduction of something "cool" which makes just
visual changes is the last thing to do in well functioning system.

> Janis

Im absolutely against bells and whistles that's why I left windows forever
and went for Linux but that's out of topic..

I agree if the system is functional and runs smooth then don't touch it.
However I can't say its the case with horde at this point.

I personally think the horde devs and leaders should focus on simplicity in
the code and features, improve the administrative side for admins but also
for the end users,  and very importantly the upgrade and migratory
processes.  Each time ive upgraded horde with the simple command pear
upgrade -a -B yada yada,  ive ended up losing some configuration, I had
sync problems with my Android phone,  or something broke..

Like I said, its probably due in part to my lack of experience in
administrating PHP or whatever it is, but if perfection was close, I could
just send the upgrade command and with minimal interaction,  horde would be
migrated.

While I don't especially fancy bells and whistles,  I have a strong
appreciation for enhanced features and task automation.

My 2 cents using horde for about 18 months