[horde] Future of Horde.

Mike barjunk at attglobal.net
Sat Sep 30 21:54:20 UTC 2023

Quoting Simon B <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, 27 Sept 2023 at 21:01, Mike <barjunk at attglobal.net> wrote:
>> Quoting ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at ursc.gov.in>:
>>
>> > Dear Development Team,
>> >
>> > Sincere request to update on Future of Horde.
>> >
>> > We look forward for Release of Horde 6.  But, not getting any updates.
>>
>>  From the fact that responses have been limited to none, I think it is
>> up to those who'd like to see it move forward to step into the gap and
>> make it happen.
>>
>> I'm willing to help where I can.
>>

> Hi Mike,
>
> I suppose at the very least, someone needs to...
> - Fork the Github Repository.
> - Check the licences to make sure there is nothing proprietary from
> the LLC in the code-base  (Ideally, the LLC would state clearly that
> this is not the case, and that the code as is released under the least
> restrictive licence possible.
> - Arrange weekly meetings to plan out the next steps.
>
> Frankly, as lovely as Horde is, I think the primary reason for the
> stagnation is that there are better technologies than PHP available
> (not that I am proficient in either) and the task of rewriting the
> codebase in Ruby or Javascript is probably mentally forbidding.
>
> Regards
>
> Simon

It is legitimate to say that there are likely better technologies.
I'm just saying that if folks aren't able to use it as is, we are
going to have to make any improvements to it.  Otherwise the choice is
to move onto something else.

I'll continue to use it until I can't get it to work anymore, since my
risk is very limited.

I see that some people have had commits merged here:
https://github.com/orgs/maintaina-com/repositories

So it seems like somethings are still being managed.   Seems to be the
"scratch your itch" mindset, which I'm in favor of.

As folks run into issues and have solutions for those issues, let's
talk about them here and see what we can do as a community.

Mike