[kronolith] Holidays

Brandon Knitter knitterb@blandsite.org
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:52:14 -0700

Quoting Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org>:
> Zitat von Michael Cochrane <mike@graftonhall.co.nz>:
> > I would prefer the one person generate for the rest of us method, as this
> > will
> > cut down on instalation hassles and lead to less frustration...
> >
> > gcal doesn't seem to break down the holidays by locals very well... but
> > then
> > I've only been playing with it for 10 mins.... so once a list is
> > generated I
> > think there will be a few diffs as everyone fixes the holidays for their
> > particular region, I know there's allready one mistake in the New
> > Zealand
> > holidays... (we don't have a New Zealand day, it's Waitangi Day).
>
> I haven't tried gcal yet, but the fact that it offers locale holidays for
> almost every country on the world makes it the only alternative to me that
> makes sense. Or is anyone on this list volunteering to maintain such a list
>
> for Kronolith? :-)
>
> And I don't think it makes sense to create such lists by gcal for every
> possible country and make it available in Kronolith or on the Horde site.

I'm with you Jan.  Chuck your idea of making a list for everyone just isn't
really feasible.  For instance, I could care less about Jewish holidays if I'm
Christian.  Also, I honestly don't care what New Zeland Day is, no matter what
Michael calls it.  Furthermore, I doubt Michael cares if I call July 4th
Independence Day or not.  I could be a US citizen, but still care about Kwanzaa.
 The combinations are almost limitless, and since gcal let's you do all this,
why worry about our own lists when there are people working on this for us.

I think what I'm going to do is make a perl script which takes some input for
passing to gcal and personal info (for the kronolith table format), and it
outputs some sql which can be used to put dates into the kronolith table.  That
way I can share this as a contrib feature and people whom want to use it can,
but must install gcal.  And if you don't want to use it, fair enough.

Once again, the feature I was looking for was similar to Yahoo Calendar's
holiday feature.  You choose one or more locales and religions, and those
holidays show up.  If I change that list of religions or locales, the list of
holidays changes in my calendar.

Micheal, you should really let the folks over at the gcal mailing list know
about your holiday naming.  I *know* you care, but without a .nz domain I doubt
they'd beleive me! :)

--
-bk