[ansel] More feature requests

Heath S. Hendrickson heath at outerspaceconsultants.com
Sun Jan 18 21:14:27 PST 2004

Okay, tell me to lay off if I'm getting ahead of myself, but here are
some more suggestions of ways to improve Ansel based on looking at other
online image-database packages:

1) Templates for displaying the images (perhaps use the skin code from
JAlbum as a starting point)
2) Ability to upload all photos to a single image repository and them
assign them to galleries.  This way you could put one image in multiple
galleries and only have to have one copy on the server.  This would also
simplify the XP publish function by eliminating the gallery
selection/creation part.  All the photos go into a single bucket.
3) Ability to assign categories to images.  This would be useful for
creating dynamic galleries (say a listing of all holiday images from
1997-2003).
4) Ability to view EXIF data on the same page as the image and not in a
separate page (i.e., below or to the side).

A lot of these suggestions are based on two programs that I've been
playing with lately.  One is a Java application  for creating web photo
albums (JAlbum at http://www.datadosen.se/jalbum/history.jsp) and the
other is a PHP-based online photo gallery organizer (Exhibit Engine at
http://photography-on-the.net/ee/)

I'd think that #3 and #4 would be the simplest to do (modify the
DataTree to add extra fields to the table for the category data and
modify the image viewing code to include the EXIF printing routines there).

I can try and tackle #4.

Thanks,
heath