[ansel] More feature requests

Heath S. Hendrickson heath at outerspaceconsultants.com
Mon Jan 19 06:54:01 PST 2004

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

>Quoting "Heath S. Hendrickson" <heath at outerspaceconsultants.com>:
>

>>Okay, tell me to lay off if I'm getting ahead of myself, but here are
>>some more suggestions of ways to improve Ansel based on looking at other
>>online image-database packages:
>>

>Well, some code would be nice. :)

Let me see what I can do.

>>1) Templates for displaying the images (perhaps use the skin code from
>>JAlbum as a starting point)
>>

>Pretty much done. See the view/ directory, which has scripts that build
>Horde_Template files, that can be pretty much anything.

I'll take a look at that, thanks.

>>2) Ability to upload all photos to a single image repository and them
>>assign them to galleries.  This way you could put one image in multiple
>>galleries and only have to have one copy on the server.  This would also
>>simplify the XP publish function by eliminating the gallery
>>selection/creation part.  All the photos go into a single bucket.
>>

>Okay, but... is there a reason you think we *need* to simplify the XP support,
>given that it all already works?

I guess my point isn't so much about simplifying the XP publich code,
but making it easier to build and tear-down galleries.  Right now you
can create a new gallery, but can you create a new sub-gallery?  If so,
it's not obvious how to do it.  Right now a gallery is kinda fixed.  I
can't move a photo between galleries without having to delete it and
re-upload it.  I can't have a single image file be shared between
galleries.  I'm not knocking what's there, I'm just thinking of features
that would be nice to have in Ansel.

>>3) Ability to assign categories to images.  This would be useful for
>>creating dynamic galleries (say a listing of all holiday images from
>>1997-2003).
>>

>Sure. Easy with the datatree driver.

Is the datatree driver just a rename of the old category driver or are
there any noteworthy differences in implementation?

>>4) Ability to view EXIF data on the same page as the image and not in a
>>separate page (i.e., below or to the side).
>>

>Trivial. Patch?

I'll work on this one.  I'm not a very proficient programmer, though, so
I make no promises on the quality of the code.

>>I'd think that #3 and #4 would be the simplest to do (modify the
>>DataTree to add extra fields to the table for the category data and
>>modify the image viewing code to include the EXIF printing routines there).
>>

>No, no, no. No extra fields. Half the point of the datatree driver is that you
>don't need to add more fields, you just add new attributes. It handles it all
>from there (the other half is hierarchical structure).

That's fine, I'm still not fully up-to-speed with how the whole Horde
framework is built.  However it's implemented, it could just be
additional data elements (I assume that the caption is stored in the
same fashion) for an image.

>-chuck
>
>--
>Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
>"Here, I brought some cole slaw. It's made from peeeooople! Just kidding."

heath