[ansel] Patch (and new file) to output EXIF data on image view

Heath S. Hendrickson heath at outerspaceconsultants.com
Mon Jan 19 19:38:12 PST 2004

To make it easier on you, are there some things I can do in my coding to
help cut down on the cleanup that you are having to do before committing
the patches?  Just trying to help out wherever possible, but it just
seems like a difference of coding practice and the fact that I'm a lousy
programmer...

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

>Cleaned up and committed, thanks!
>

>>Would you be willing to accept a patch for user configurable EXIF
>>fields?
>>

>>From docs/TODO:
>
>- Scan for embedded (EXIF) information at upload time, and store the
>attributes in a database/categories backend. That way they can be
>searchable, editable, added to, etc., and we don't lose them when/if
>the image is edited or the format changes.
>
>:)

That's sorta what I was thinking of, but not quite so complex.  I was
thinking of a way of letting a user configure what EXIF fields get
pulled from the file to be displayed.  For instance, I'm not sure how
many people are really concerned with  YCbCrPositioning or
ComponentsConfiguration or CompressedBitsPerPixel.  But there are other
fields that might be of interest like Exposure Bias or Metering Mode or
fields specific to a camera (Canons Makernotes fields comes to mind).

>>Is there an automatic way when parsing preferences to allow for a
>>delimited free-form text field?
>>

>No, but this shouldn't have to involve preferences...

Only if you want to allow people to add/remove EXIF fields from those
that are displayed.  If not, they you're right.

>-chuck
>
>--
>Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
>"Here, I brought some cole slaw. It's made from peeeooople! Just kidding."

heath