Batch operations - was (Re: [ansel] Problem with conf.xml/php)

Heath S. Hendrickson heath at outerspaceconsultants.com
Sat Jan 24 20:26:47 PST 2004

David Bates wrote:

> I've done this before on a personal website of mine.. it's not
> extremly difficult in php.. :) Really easy actually.. how many files
> should we upload at a time, 5, 10, 15?

>> Definitely, though I still think some people might want the option of
>> not going
>> through the popup/button-clicking step. But really, we should probably
>> implement batch operations if we're thinking along those lines. Just
>> musing,
>> anyway. No need to think *quite* so much about it that we don't do
>> anything. :)

I'm not sure where talking about batch upload here (unless I missed
something).  But more general batch operations for all the edit
functions (watermark, crop, rotate, resize, etc.).  There's already the
ability to upload a zip file of images which I would think is much
easier on a person than doing a lot of Browse->Select operations.

Also, perhaps the upload and XP Publish code could be modified to
automatically create the thumbnail and screen resolution images after
the files are uploaded instead of when they gallery or image is first
viewed.  I'm working with large images (2MB+ JPEGs) and it can take
quite a while to load a gallery thumbnail page with 15 thumbnails when
the system has to create them all on the fly.  It could be a conf.php
option to turn it on or off for those that prefer the dynamic way better.

heath