[ansel] Feature Request

Heath S. Hendrickson heath at outerspaceconsultants.com
Sat Mar 20 18:19:42 PST 2004

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting "Heath S. Hendrickson" <heath at outerspaceconsultants.com>:
>
>> I would think that it could be set through the caption page
>

> Ugh, why? Just confuses the UI.

I'm a lazy programmer and didn't want to create a whole set of new
pages...   I didn't want it to be on the display page.   I think it
needs it's own page...

>> Anyone with experience with the portal layout engine have any pointers
>> or suggestions?
>

> I don't think that's going to be a very efficient way of doing this.
> If you've
> ever used Netflix, the way they let you reorder your queue is quite
> nice - just
> change the numbers in text boxes. Simple but effective.

I had the same thought this morning... and funny you should mention it,
but I had the exact same thought about the way NetFlix does it.  I'll
see what I can do about putting something together.  I was thinking that
it would be nice to show an icon (a-la the upload page) of the image
along with the filename and then the overall list.  I'll keep the first
iteration simple by assuming that the user will handle any ordering
collisions.

>> Also, it would be great to have the ability to overwrite an image in a
>> gallery.  For example, if you put up an image and then want to do some
>> editing offline... currently you'd lose all the caption data that you
>> may have created for it... and any other metadata that may exist for the
>> image (future thinking, you know).
>

> Patch?

Let me work on the ordering patch first...  Since I've never touched
those parts (upload and datatree) of Ansel before, it might be best left
to those that know it a little more about it than I do.  One possible
suggestion for how to do it would be to add a "Replace" option before
"Delete" on the gallery view...   That or an easier way would be to add
it as part of the "Properties" form... just add the file-upload at the
bottom of the form.