[ansel] new listGalleries code

Ben Chavet ben at chavet.net
Sat Mar 20 23:35:34 PST 2004

I was trying to come up with a unified format for a list of galleries,
no matter
what type of grouping was desired by the user.  I thought I had done
so, but it
may need a bit of refinement...

I realize the new format is a bit more complex than before, but I think it
allows for more flexibility.  It doesn't really matter what the user's
preferences are, by calling listGalleries(), we are receiving an array of
groups of galleries.  If there is one group...so be it, just display the one
group.  If there are 300 groups, no need to change the code, just deal
with it.

I made the current code capable of dealing with the currently defined
groupings
(byOwner, and none), but leaving it wide open for any other type of groupings.
If we wanted to add a grouping of groupByPurpleTofu, we could with minimal
effort (considering galleries had a purpleTofu attribute).

Heath and I had expressed interest in making gallery listings a bit more
unified, and there was no opposition, so I implemented what I thought would be
best for the project in the long-run.

If you have a better idea on how to implement this, I'm all ears!  I only want
what will be best for the project in the long-run, because I plan on using the
ansel code-base for my personal photo album for as long as possible.

I hope that clears things up a bit.  I'll be glad to explain further if
necessary.

--Ben