[ansel] Ansel::listGalleries()

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun May 9 20:16:36 PDT 2004

Quoting "Heath S. Hendrickson" <heath at outerspaceconsultants.com>:

>>> - gallery also has the ability to move not only images, but also entire
>>> galleries around
>>
>> This is something that I'd like to do sometime soon.
>>
> I'd think that this would be easier if Ansel were using the true
> parent->child relationship, right?

Not really - galleries themselves *are* organized in a full tree.

> If so, it's another incentive for working on the datatree driver to
> futher optimize it.

This is completely seperate from optimization - of course we should keep
optimizing. I suggested a way to try optimizing things a few months ago - I
didn't get any feedback from anyone. Have you tried it?

>> Also nice.  I've contemplated on a simular feature for a while, but
>> haven't come up with anything concrete yet.
>>
> If we are tracking the uploaded date for an image, this should be really
> easy to pull off.  A simple query like SELECT FROM <> WHERE
> Attriubute="Date Uploaded" AND Value>=<Date - 7days>.  If we aren't
> tracking that, we should add it as it is a piece of information that
> does seem to be relevant and would be useful down the road (say I wanted
> to do a search of my images and display all images uploaded between
> certain dates).  The random image should be possible now.

Yup, should just be able to do a getByAttributes() if we store the uploaded
date. Doesn't look like we track this in Ansel, but there is the
datatree_updated field - though I have to admit I'm not sure that's updated by
anything, either. :)

> One other thing that I'd like to see is the ability to export the
> caption data for images to a CSV file or something.  Then we could
> import it just as easily.  I know that I can just do direct SQL queries
> to get the data, but it would be nice to be able to create the caption
> file offline and then import it into a gallery.  And if you had an
> export feature, then it's a great way to create the initial template for
> upload (export the empty file and fill in the necessary blanks then upload).

Should be very easy to do.

> One other question that you might know the answer to.  What are the
> reasons that uploaded images are stored with random filenames and not
> the uploaded image name?  I can guess that it was due to: 1) desire to
> avoid possible collisions, 2) get around naming convention issues
> between windows and unix.  Was there any other reason?

It was just there in the initial Ansel code. There are pros and cons; I'm not
sure there's a terribly good reason for it.

-chuck