[ansel] Display of sub-galleries

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Apr 12 18:33:26 PDT 2006

Quoting Mark Worsdall <ansel at worsdall.demon.co.uk>:

> I like that, would also like to be able to have the list version though,
> so on slow servers we just get like an explorer tree list with image
> names and not images being displayed unless you can do the list with a
> very small thumbnail of the image with the image filename next to it.

I'm not sure what the speed of the server has to do with it - it's not
going to be much more expensive the new way, if at all - we still need
to calculate all the information about number of images in the
gallery, etc. Serving the image itself isn't expensive, especially
with the vfs-direct hack. And if you're not using vfs-direct, then
it's one thumbnail vs. a slightly bigger one - not going to make much
of a difference in load.

That said others have requested a tree view and I've thought of one
myself, so as a seperate enhancement that'd be great.

> Could it be thought about that one could have a gallery/sub-gallery set
> so its images can be referenced as ICONS in say another horde package.

Possible? Yeah... but this is a _whole_ different ball of wax. :) I'm
not sure it'd turn out to be the best way to do custom icon sets, if
we do indeed want to support them, but it's definitely an interesting
possibility. Put it into an enhancement ticket if you want, that way
it'll be documented somewhere central.

-chuck