[ansel] imageCreateFromString Empty string or invalid image

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Jul 2 16:51:56 UTC 2009

Quoting vuser1 <vuser1 at test123.ru>:

> Hello ansel users!
>

> Yesterday I installed horde-webmail-1.2.3 and ansel-h3-1.0. Image
> gallery with preview thumbnails works fine, but website cannot
> render the image when I click on it. In /tmp/horde.log:
>

> Jul 01 13:22:21 HORDE [error] [ansel] imageCreateFromString:
> imagecreatefromstring() [<a
> href='function.imagecreatefromstring'>function.imagecreatefromstring</a>]:
> Empty string or invalid image [pid 20055 on line 175 of
> "/usr/share/horde/ansel/lib/ Views/Image.php"]
>
> Jul 01 13:22:22 HORDE [emergency] [ansel] imagejpeg: imagejpeg():
> supplied argument is not a valid Image resource [pid 20055 on line
> 44 of "/usr/share/horde/ansel/img/screen.php"]
>

> Ubuntu 8.04
>
> https://my-site/horde/ansel/test.php:
>
> PHP Version: 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.6
>
> PHP Major Version: 5.2
>
> PHP Minor Version: 4
>
> PHP Subminor Version: 2ubuntu5.6
>
> PHP Version Classification: release
>
> You are running a supported version of PHP.
>

> PHP Module Capabilities
>
> GD Support: Yes
>
> Imagick Library: No
>
> Zip Support: Yes
>
> OpenCV Library: No
>
> Facedetect Face Detection Library: No
>
> Puzzle Library: No
>

> PEAR Search Path (PHP's include_path):
> /usr/share/horde/lib:/usr/share/horde/lib/../pear
>
> PEAR: Yes
>
> Recent PEAR: Yes
>
> MDB2: Yes
>

> At first I tried to install imagick (pecl install imagick), but
> later I disabled it in php.ini.
>
> The line producing an error:
>
> 173:        $geometry = $this->resource->getDimensions('screen');
>
> 174:        if (is_a($geometry, 'PEAR_Error')) {
>
> 175:            Horde::logMessage($geometry->getMessage(), __FILE__,
> __LINE__, PEAR_LOG_ERR);
>

> I am in stuck, why thumbnails works, but image view ? don?t? What
> should I try/check?

There were a number of bugs introduced into Ansel due to a change in
the way those "screen" images are generated. If your interested, we
always generate them as jpeg files now, regardless of the configured
image format setting since they are smaller and we would never need
the alpha channel capabilities of PNG images for those images...this
leads to reduced bandwidth and storage requirements.

Anyway, those issues are already fixed in CVS. The best thing to do
would be to update to the current framework_3 branch code.  If you
can't do that, you could switch to the imagemagick driver by providing
the path to your convert program.  The im driver is a *much* better
driver both in terms of efficiency and output.

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)