[ansel] General question

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Nov 16 15:23:38 UTC 2009

Zitat von "Michael J. Rubinsky" <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

> Quoting Jan Seynaeve <jan.seynaeve at telenet.be>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just installed Ansel in my Horde3-webmail edition and must say I like it.
>>
>> I was just wondering if there are any plans for having "locale file
>> system" as a possibility for uploading photo's (well, it wouldn't
>> be exactly uploading anymore, but you get the point). This way, one
>> can use (s)ftp or whatever other method to bulk upload files to the
>> server and then 'locally'  choose which photoos he'd like in the
>> album.
>> Maybe also with an option to copy the photo over or just use a link
>> to the original file, so the user/admin can decide whether to clear
>> out the ftp directory or not.
>
> If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to FTP images to
> the server running Ansel, and have some mechanism in Ansel to choose
> what images to add to your galleries from that directory - and
> possibly serve the images directly out of the FTP directory? The
> first point would be a nightmare to maintain, if it was even
> possible. There are lots of issues with that approach.  The second
> point wouldn't work at all with how Ansel generates the image views
> and uses the Virtual File System.  There *is* a FTP driver for VFS,
> but Ansel would still need to generate the images that you see, it
> hardly ever uses the original image for display purposes.
>
> If you are looking for ways to make uploading easier, there are a
> number of other options though. First, if you *do* have your image
> files on the same box as Ansel, and have command line access to that
> box, there is a php script in the ansel/scripts folder called
> 'recursive_import.php' that will do a batch "upload" to ansel. If
> your images are on a different box, you can use the
> 'remote_import.php' script to do the same thing.  If you are on
> windows, Ansel supports XPPublish. On the Mac, there is an apple
> script interface to the command line scripts "AnselPublish.scpt"
> that lets you drop a folder of images onto the script icon to upload
> to the ansel server.  If you use iPhoto or Aperture on OS X 10.1 or
> greater, there are export plugins available in our horde-hatchery
> git repository that are fairly close to being stable (it's what I
> use almost exclusively for uploading to Ansel).

Finally, there is also a WebDAV interface which may assemble the
closest of what you want, since you can use any WebDAV-capable file
browser to upload files. Though I'm honestly not sure how stable this
interface is, atm.

Btw, Michael, all these options should be documented in a central
place like the wiki or the online help.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/