[ansel] General question

Michael J. Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Nov 16 14:53:20 UTC 2009

Quoting Jan Seynaeve <jan.seynaeve at telenet.be>:

> Hello,
>
> I just installed Ansel in my Horde3-webmail edition and must say I like it.
>
> I was just wondering if there are any plans for having "locale file
> system" as a possibility for uploading photo's (well, it wouldn't be
> exactly uploading anymore, but you get the point). This way, one can
> use (s)ftp or whatever other method to bulk upload files to the
> server and then 'locally'  choose which photoos he'd like in the
> album.
> Maybe also with an option to copy the photo over or just use a link
> to the original file, so the user/admin can decide whether to clear
> out the ftp directory or not.

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to FTP images to
the server running Ansel, and have some mechanism in Ansel to choose
what images to add to your galleries from that directory - and
possibly serve the images directly out of the FTP directory? The first
point would be a nightmare to maintain, if it was even possible. There
are lots of issues with that approach.  The second point wouldn't work
at all with how Ansel generates the image views and uses the Virtual
File System.  There *is* a FTP driver for VFS, but Ansel would still
need to generate the images that you see, it hardly ever uses the
original image for display purposes.

If you are looking for ways to make uploading easier, there are a
number of other options though. First, if you *do* have your image
files on the same box as Ansel, and have command line access to that
box, there is a php script in the ansel/scripts folder called
'recursive_import.php' that will do a batch "upload" to ansel. If your
images are on a different box, you can use the 'remote_import.php'
script to do the same thing.  If you are on windows, Ansel supports
XPPublish. On the Mac, there is an apple script interface to the
command line scripts "AnselPublish.scpt" that lets you drop a folder
of images onto the script icon to upload to the ansel server.  If you
use iPhoto or Aperture on OS X 10.1 or greater, there are export
plugins available in our horde-hatchery git repository that are fairly
close to being stable (it's what I use almost exclusively for
uploading to Ansel).

Yup, for Horde 4 / Ansel 2.  http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/7661

--
Thanks,